Monday, July 23, 2012

DIY Sew: 1 yard Knit Dress


The challenge: I had exactly 1 yard of knit fabric that I had no idea what to do with.
After making a rectangle top (I'll post soon), I thought I could try the same with this fabric; unfortunately due to the stiffness of the fabric, the shirt turned out really boxy and unattractive. 
I put the project to the side for a day, and then figured I would attempt to make a three quarter sleeve shirt out of it; I grabbed an old shirt from my dresser and traced.  After tracing, I realized I had some extra fabric, so I flared out the bottom with the thought that it might make a cute tunic.
When I tried the shirt on, I realized it could work as a dress, although at this stage it was super short, and I needed more length.  I decided to use my fabric scraps to extend the dress a few inches; and that was that, the dress was born!

If you're interested in attempting, here's what you'll need
1 yard of fabric (http://www.thefabricfairy.com/)
matching thread
scissors
sewing machine
pins
long sleeve shirt (for tracing)


Lay out your fabric with right sides touching; place your shirt on top and trace


Add the a flare to the bottom


Cut; pin up the sides, and sew using a zigzag stitch


Turn the dress right side out; At this point I tried on the dress and it was too short, so I grabbed some fabric scraps, and cut two identical pieces; then with right sides of fabric touching I pinned on the fabric to the front; then I used my second piece and pinned it on the back
Sew the fabric on horizontal first; after that's done, sew up the back and front sides together at the side seams



Last hem the bottom and the sleeves (unfourtnately these pics are pre-hem)

That's it, COMPLETE!!



10 comments:

  1. Thanks just what I've been looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute dress! So easy to do! Thx!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, and for checking out my blog!!

      Delete
  3. It looks like you are only working with two pieces...do you cut around the sleeves so you don't have to sew them on later?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I went the extremely unprofessional way of just tracing and cutting, I didn't sew the sleeves on separately. Of course if you want a better fit, I would cut the sleeves out separately and sew them on; if you have old sleeve pattern pieces use those!

      Delete
  4. Love this - have done something similar and it's soooo easy - would recommend for all beginner sewers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute! Going to try this, and a sleeevless one too!

    ReplyDelete